Sunday, November 13, 2011

Blessing Bags

 Bags brimming with blessings.  I love that concept.

Julie from Joy's Hope promotes making blessing bags for the homeless.  You can read about them here.  This is a fabulous idea!  What a great way to count your own blessings as you help others in need.   Gather your family for the holidays, make some assignments, and bless the homeless!

There are all kinds of ways to package blessings.  

Earlier this year some friends of mine got together to bag up all kinds of blessings for the children impacted by the devastating tornado in Joplin, Missouri.  We gathered toys and supplies and packaged them up for distribution.  Each person signed up to bring something (coloring books and crayons, jump ropes, toy cars, playdough, etc. etc)  We dumped organized everything on a big table and set about making our kits.  Then we crammed carefully placed all of the bags in big suitcases to be taken to Joplin.





It was great fun.  And it felt good to be helping in some way.  We wanted to bless the children, but we were the ones that felt blessed.  Isn't that just the way it works?  


As I thought of other ways that I could package up blessings in a bag, I remembered that our local food and care coalition needs sack lunches to distribute to the homeless and hungry.  We've done this many times before and it's a great way to get the family involved in helping others.  Basically, you make sandwiches and compliment them with drinks, chips, fruit, and a cookie or treat.  Bag them up and drop them off.  It's easy.  I called the coalition and I am waiting to be assigned a day.  I was hoping to be able to do it this week as part of the Happy Day Project.  Apparently, they have a lot of help this time of year.  (Note to self--make sack lunches for the homeless during the off months.  Like January-October!)   So, as soon as I hear back and get the go-ahead, I will blog about our sacks of blessings.

But,  what to do today?

I need something that I can throw together with supplies that I have on hand.  I have an idea.  I'll be right back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...