Thursday, May 3, 2012

[Prom Week] Dinner Napkins


Prom.  Saturday.  Seven tuxedo clad boys.  Seven gorgeous girls.  And dinner by me.  If you missed yesterday's post, click here for all the details.  Today's adventure involves my sewing machine and lots of yummy yellow cotton fabric.

As I mentioned earlier, I had most of the linens that I needed to host this shin-dig in my personal stash.  But, I wanted to add some yellow accents.  So, I chose a fun yellow polka-dot fabric to make some cloth napkins for our formal dinner.  Have you made napkins before?  It took a bit of time to make fourteen of them, but the process is simple enough.

You will need one yard of fabric for four napkins.  It's best to use 100% cotton or linen.  Cut your fabric into 18 inch squares.


I decided to serge the edges for good measure, but you certainly don't have to.


Then I pressed each edge into the center just the width of my over lock stitch...maybe 3/8 of an inch.


Then fold and press each edge into the center again, so all of the rough edges are hidden.  Mitered corners are the bomb.  But I didn't have time for that.  A simple folded corner will do just fine.


Now run a straight stitch around the four sides.  Repeat the above steps for each napkin you've cut.  In my case, fourteen times.  Sheesh.

 

But, they are so worth it.  I love cloth napkins.  A million times fancier than paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...