Monday, March 26, 2012

[Easter] Bunny Britches



britches [brich-iz] noun
1.  Also called knee breeches, knee length trousers, often having ornamental buckles or elaborate decoration at or near the bottoms, commonly worn by men or boys in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries.
2.  riding breeches
3.  Informal. trousers


I came across these darling felt funny bunny treat bags the other day and decided that I simply must make a paper version.  I think they turned out so cute!  These would be perfect for an Easter egg hunt.  You could make them up ahead of time, or have the children make them as a craft before they go hunting.  They would also make a darling party favor.


Supplies that you will need:

colorful paper bags (of the gift bag or the lunch sack variety)
coordinating scrapbook paper
large white pompoms
glue and glue dots
scissors or paper cutter
stapler
markers
buttons from your stash


1.  I found some smaller bright gift bags at the store that just screamed "spring".  They measured five inches in width across the front and were three inches deep.  You don't need the handles, so just go ahead and cut them off.  My finished bag measured five inches tall.


2.  Cut two strips of paper for the waistband.  I tried different colors and styles of card stock, and found that I just liked the plain cream color best.  I cut mine 8 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.  I scored my paper strips an inch and a half from each end.  This allows them to wrap around to the sides of the bag.  If you want to add some "stitching" details, now is the best time.  Glue the band to the top of the remaining paper bag.  I glued my strips so they matched up in the fold on the sides.




3.  While you are at it, cut two additional strips of paper for the suspenders.  I liked the look of fun patterned card stock for this.  I cut my strips 1 inch wide and 12 inches long.  Once again, if you want to add "stitches", it is best to do it before you attach your suspenders to the pants.



At this point your britches should look like this:


I decided to staple the suspenders into place.  I wanted to make sure that they were attached really well, so they would hold up to the eventual weight of the goodies inside.  The front of your bag will be the side with the fold.  Staple the suspenders to the front perpendicular to the base.  You will want to staple them at an angle in the back to allow for the "criss-cross".  I chose to use a glue dot where the suspenders cross to hold them in place.


4.  Decorate and embellish your "britches".  Add buttons to the suspenders.  Just use a glue dot and put your buttons right on top of your staples.  You could use a marker to add stitching details and pockets.


5.  Glue on your bunny tail.  You want the tail to be on the side without a fold.  I used some craft glue to adhere my tail.


6.  When your britches are complete, fill with Easter grass and you are all set to fill your "basket" with goodies.

Here's a look at the front:


And here's the cute back-side:


I'm linking up with:

9 comments:

  1. So cute! I can't wait to try these! Julie T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fun? Your kids will love them! Send pics if you get a chance.

      Delete
  2. These are so adorable! We will featuring them tonight at our link party!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO ADORABLE! I will definitely be doing this. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie: I'm Connie @ http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GF friend. I would love if you would stop by and be my friend.
    I saw this project at a link party at HHP. So adorable. That's a great tutorial, too.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I would love to be your friend! I'll definitely stop by for a visit.

      Delete
  5. These are so very, very cute thank you for such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...