Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Hot Buttered Cider


I spent most of my growing-up years in Michigan.  If you've ever met a Michigander, then you know that they are passionate about Fall in general and apple cider in particular.  It's in our blood.  We can't help it.  I haven't lived in Michigan for almost twenty-five years.  But, when autumn rolls around I get a severe case of homesickness.  Every year when the leaves started to change, my family and friends would head out to the cider mill.  And we would go back.  Again.  And again.  There is nothing like a cup of freshly pressed cider and piping hot donuts.  I had the worst case of cider withdrawal this year.  Seriously, I almost broke out in hives.  It was that bad.  I was bemoaning my lack of cider to my brother one day.  Next thing I know, the UPS man was delivering a huge box to my front door.  Wanna see what was in it?



Not ringing a bell yet?  How about this...


This little beauty is a home-sized apple press.  And it is awesome!  It turns out my brother was having cider withdrawals too.  He is letting me house this baby for a little while.  I have three apple trees in my yard and it was a bumper crop kind of year.  And this little press got here just in the nick of time to make some cider.  It's so delicious.  I love it ice cold (slushy in fact) and I love it piping hot.  Speaking of hot...

Hot buttered cider.  Mmm.  I think today, this would be labeled "butterbeer" of Hogwart's fame.  I found this recipe in an old stapled stack of mimeographed recipes that my mom gave to me.  I'm sure that these recipes could be found thirty years ago circulating around the homes of all the ladies in our church congregation.  With that kind of history--you know it's got to be good!  And it is.


So, in honor of Michigan apples and church ladies everywhere...
let me introduce Hot Buttered Cider!


 Promise me that you will not use apple juice.  Promise!  You absolutely must use apple cider.  Preferably from Michigan.  But in a pinch, you can use your own freshly pressed cider from apples in your backyard.  Or if it's a real emergency, use some cider purchased at your local grocery store.  If it's translucent..it is NOT cider.  Splurge and buy the real deal.  You'll be glad that you did.

I swear it's the nectar of the gods.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...