Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pumpkin Filled Cannoli Cones


 Let's get our cannoli on!  This is not a traditional cannoli recipe, but man is it yummy!  I used my new waffle cone maker to make the shells.  I just followed the recipe in the pamphlet that came with the machine.


 You can also use store bought sugar cones.  I filled it with a traditional ricotta filling, first.  (Something similar to this)  Then I tried a pumpkin version.  Aren't they cute?

So, first mix up your recipe for waffle cones.  Instead of making a large cone, I just added about a teaspoon of dough to the middle of the waffle cone maker.  A small cookie scoop works really well for this.
 


Close the lid and time them for about 1 minute and twenty seconds.  The timing light on the machine didn't really work that well, because I didn't use the proper amount of dough.  So, count in your head or use a separate timer.  When the shell is a golden shade of brown, gently remove it from the iron.




Place it on a clean and dry kitchen towel.  I used the end of a large wooden spoon to wrap the shell around.  Then press down on the end for a few seconds until it hardens in place. One batch of dough made about 25 cannoli shells.  It takes about half an hour to make them all.  You can do these in advance, just store in an air-tight container until you are ready to use.

Next up, let's make our filling.  I got the inspiration for these from a recipe by Lauren's Latest on Tasty Kitchen.  I altered the filling a little, because I wanted it to be a bit more substantial.


Scoop the filling into a piping bag (or a ziploc bag with the end cut off).  I used a large star tip.  It just takes a little squeeze to fill them up.  Dip the ends in mini chocolate chips or chopped walnuts and dust with powdered sugar.

These really are delicious and easy!  And you get to use a piping bag--bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...