Friday, March 15, 2013

[Happy Birthday] Sweet Sixteen




I have some cute neighbor girls that are turning 16 this month.  I wanted to do something classy and special to honor their birthday.  These were easy to make and I think they turned out so fun.

First, I spent a few minutes perusing the aisles of our local thrift store in search of some lost pieces of china.  I was able to find some tea cups and saucers for about fifty cents each.  They don't technically belong together, but I think that is part of their charm.  Just find some coordinating pieces and have fun with it.

Next I made some cupcakes.  I've been experimenting with cake recipes over the last little while.  The perfect cake is still eluding me.  As soon as I find it, I will share.  This one wasn't bad, but not quite what I was hoping for. 

While the cakes were baking, I scrubbed the china clean.  Make it really sparkle!

Let your cupcakes cool.  Then frost them generously with buttercream.

My tea cups were a little deep.  I didn't want to have my cupcakes sink to the bottom, so I scrunched up some tissue paper and put it in the bottom of the cup. 

Set your cupcake on top of the tissue.

Finally, add some embellishments.  I made a little tag and tied it to the handle with a ribbon.  I also thought it needed a little pendant flag.  I made mine out of washi tape.  Did you know that if you stagger the chevron tape a little, it makes gingham?  How awesome is that?

Happy happy birthday girls!  I hope your day is fabulous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...