Tuesday, March 6, 2012

[Birthday] Pull-String Pinata Part Two


Finally.  Our pinata is completely dry.  I am so excited to decorate it and stuff it full of goodness.  Shall we?

I was in a bit of a hurry and neglected to take some pictures of the next few steps.  But, I'm sure that you will be able to picture it in your mind. 

1.  As you can see, I decided to spray paint my pinata bright pink.  I didn't want the newsprint showing through.  I would advise you to not paint it in the garage unless you want a bright pink garage floor.  Yeah.

2.  Pop the balloon.  I just grabbed the elastic string that I left intact, pulled on it a little and snipped off the end of the balloon.  (It makes the weirdest noises as it pulls away from the paper!) By the way, the hole left behind by the elastic string will become the top of your pinata.  This is important.

3.  Cut a "trap door" on the bottom of your pinata using an exacto or a utility knife.  I cut a circular door leaving only an inch or two uncut on one side for the hinge.  (Don't forget to pull out the old shriveled up balloon)

4.  You will need a ribbon to hang your pinata from.  A two inch wide grosgrain ribbon would work well.  I cut mine about two feet long.  Tie your ribbon around a popsicle stick and thread it through the hole at the top of the pinata.  You know, the hole the elastic string used to go through.  The stick will prevent the ribbon from pulling loose. (see the picture in step 6)

 
5.  Prepare your candy or toys for stuffing the pinata.  I opted to stuff mine with individual treat bags instead of loose candy.  Put all of the goodies inside your pinata.  I also put lots of confetti inside of mine.  You should know by now that I love confetti!

6.  Poke a hole in the bottom of your pinata.  Tie another ribbon around a popsicle stick and thread it through this hole.  You could tape the stick to the inside of the trap door if you want.  This will be the "pull-string" that opens the pinata.  Once again, the popsicle stick prevents the ribbon from pulling loose.




7.  Seal the trap door closed.  You don't need much.  A few strips of tape should do the trick.  You don't want the door to open on it's own, but you do want it to open when the pull string is, well, "pulled".

8.  Decorate the outside of your pinata.  I considered lots of techniques.  I loved this one and this one and this one.  But I wanted to do something a bit different.  Really girly and pink.  I decided on ruffles.  I used two different shade of pink crepe paper streamers.



9.  If you want ruffles too, follow this tutorial to ruffle your crepe paper streamers.



10.  Hot glue your ruffles onto your pinata.  Turn your pinata upside-down and work your way towards the top.  A helper comes in really handy for this step.  Make sure your ruffles don't prevent your trap door from opening!




11.  All that you have left to do, is to glue some more ribbons to the bottom of your pinata.  (you can kind of see them at the bottom of this photo.)  These are the fake pull-strings.  It adds to the suspense.  Trust me.  I used a bit of hot glue on the tip of the ribbon and it worked just great.  You want these to come off with a gentle pull.  I glued the same amount of ribbons as girls that would be attending the party.  Each girl was able to pull a string in the hopes that it would open the pinata.  But only the true "pull string" worked!  And amazingly the true pull string was the last one to be pulled!  ( I never was one for swinging the bat haphazardly around)



 And there you have it!  A bright pink ruffly girly pinata.  Does it get any better than that?

Did you miss Part One?  CLICK HERE


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...