Friday, October 5, 2012

[tips and tricks] Storing Onions


It's been a while since I have shared a little helpful tip.  We have been deep into harvesting and canning and preserving around here.  I was given some of the hugest onions I have ever seen a few weeks ago.  You can store onions in your pantry.  But if you have more onions than you can use in  a reasonable amount of time, you will want to take a different route.  You can dry onions if you have a dehydrator.  You can also freeze chopped onions and they will keep through the winter.  Do you like to cook with onions?  I use onions quite a bit.  But I rarely use an entire onion...especially when it is as big as your face! 

Want to know one of my biggest pet peeves?  I hate it when you put a half-used onion in the refrigerator or freezer and within minutes everything smells and tastes of onion!  Cookie Dough Onion Ice Cream?  No thanks.  Strawberry-onion jam?  Yuck.  Orange-onion juice?  I don't think so!  You would think Ziploc could make a bag that would deter all of those onion tastes and smells from diffusing through the fridge.  Double bagging  doesn't work.  Triple bagging doesn't work.  Tupperware doesn't work.  Those pesky onions!

Let me tell you what does work.  This is life altering---are you ready?  Mason jars!  Mason jars totally work.  My good friend shared this idea with me a couple of years ago.  Bless her.  Chop up your bigger-than-your-face onion.  Throw a handful of onion chunks into your spaghetti sauce...and put the rest in a mason jar.  Be sure to securely fasten your jar with a lid and a ring.  Put it in the fridge or the freezer and save it for tomorrow's soup.  Or chop up a bunch of onions from your garden and freeze them to use all winter long.  It's magical!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...